History of the RAAF F-18 Hornet F-111 Pig BAE Hawk AP-3C Orion Transports & Trainers RAAF Historical Aircraft Army Aviation History UH-1H Iroquois S-70A Blackhawk Eurocopter Tiger Tanks & Others Army Aviation Historical Aircraft History of the RAN FAA Sea King Mk50 S-70B Seahawk Modern Ships RAN Historical Ships & Aircraft
RAAF HISTORICAL AIRCRAFT
There are many aircraft flown over the last 70 years by the RAAF which are available in Strike Fighters. Most of which come with their own cockpits. Available at present are the following aircraft:
A-9 DEPARTMENT OF AIRCRAFT PRODUCTION BEAUFORT VIII
100 Squadron DAP Beaufort VIII
In March 1939, the
British and Australian Governments announced that the twin engined Bristol Beaufort
bomber, the prototype of which had first flown in the UK in October 1938, would be built
for both the RAF and RAAF.
With the outbreak of
war in Europe in 1939, Australia embarked on a major industrialisation, with
Australias first mass produced aircraft the Wirraway trainer, already being built at
Port Melbourne by CAC, the DAP established
the Beaufort Division on adjoining land. At that time, the manufacturing of such a modern
twin-engined high performance aircraft and its twin row 1200HP engines, was a major
challenge to the Australian industry, 10 years before production of its first local car.
Major industrial companies such as BHP and GMH contributed to the war effort with
BHPs Chairman Essington Lewis later being appointed Director of War Munitions for
the Government, responsible for the DAP.
When production ceased
in August 1944, a total of 700 Beauforts had been built. These aircraft served with
numerous squadrons including Nos 1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 15, 32, and 100 and established an
impressive operational record in operations against Japanese forces in New Guinea. They
attacked shipping in all areas of the South-West Pacific and sank cruisers, destroyers and
submarines, as well as bombing and strafing inland supply dumps and troops. They were also
used for routine convoy protection and coastal reconnaissance.
of the Beauforts were phased out of service soon after the war, and today only three
remain in various condition elsewhere in Australia, with one being rebuilt to fly in
Queensland and another in storage with the AWM, while another two exist in overseas
DESCRIPTION: Three-seat bomber/torpedo bomber. All metal stressed-skin construction.
POWER PLANT: Two Pratt & Whitney R-1830-S3C4G 1200hp
DIMENSIONS: Span, 57 ft 10 ins; length, 44 ft 2 ins; height 14 ft. 3 ins.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 13,107 lb; loaded, 21,230 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 268 mph at 14,500 ft. Initial climb, 1,200 ft/min. Range, 1,060 miles. Service ceiling, 25,000 ft.
ARMAMENT: Two .303 or 0.50 cal MG's in a dorsal turrett, and one .303 or 0.50 call MG in the left wing. 2000 lbs of bombs or one 1,605 lb torpedo.
100 squadron, RAAF, New Guinea 1942.
8 Squadron, RAAF, Goodenough Island, early 1945
Link to the SF Beaufort MkVIII:
The Beaufort VIII is brought to you by capun, Charles, Kesselbrut, and myself, with the assistance of others.
A-19 BRISTOL BEAUFIGHTER Mk I/VI
31 Squadron Beau MkVIc
The Beaufighter was conceived as a private venture by the Bristol Aeroplane Co. and the prototype first flew on July 17 1939. It was virtually a fighter version of the successful Beaufort design. As a long-range, hard-hitting aircraft, the Beaufighter appeared ideal for the Pacific war theatre, and plans were made to produce an Australian version under the A8 designation. Meantime, UK-built Beaufighters were imported and the first aircraft, A19-1, arrived on April 20 1942 and the last A19-218, on August 20 1945. These aircraft included Mks 1C, VIC, X and XIC, and the latter versions were fitted with dihedral tailplanes.
The Beaufighter commenced operations in 1942 with No 30 Sqn in New Guinea and No 31 Sqn in north-west Australia. In March 1943, the aircraft achieved world-wide fame when Damien Parer filmed the Battle of the Bismarck Sea over the shoulder of pilot Flt Lt "Torchy" Uren. Another kind of "victory" was claimed by No 30 Sqn at Goodenough Island on November 2, 1943, when A19-564 won the second of two unofficial races against a Boston of No 22 Sqn.
Most Beaufighters were camouflaged but at least two, A19-2 (which was experimentally fitted with Wright Cyclones) and A19-10, retained a silver finish. Superseded by the Australian-built A8 Beaufighter, the last A19 aircraft was taken off strength in 1951.
DESCRIPTION: Two-seat strike fighter. All metal stressed-skin construction.
POWER PLANT: Two 1670 hp Bristol Hercules.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 57 ft 10 ins; length, 41 ft 8 ins; height 15 ft. 10 ins.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 14,600 lb; loaded, 21,600 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 315 mph at 14,500 ft. Initial climb, 2,000 ft/min. Range, 1,480 miles. Service ceiling, 26,500 ft.
ARMAMENT: Four 20 mm cannons in fuselage nose, and six 0.303 guns in the wings.
Link to the SF Beau Mk I:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=1461
Here is my first RAAF skin for the Bristol Beaufighter series. This skin represents machines of 30 Squadron, RAAF, Port Morsesby, New Guinea, March 1943.
The Beaufighter is brought to you by capun, Charles, Kesselbrut, and myself, with the assistance of others.
Link to my skin:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2079
A-8 DAP BEAUFIGHTER MK21
In 1942, the British-built Beaufighter began operating with the RAAF under the designation A19. These aircraft proved to be extremely effective in operations, and DAP planned to produce an Australian version when the Beaufort contracts were completed.
Following the decision in January 1943, to commence Beaufighter production, the Bristol Company dispatched the drawings by Airgraph and some 55,000 miniature negatives were sent to DAP. Originally, it was planned to produce an Australian equivalent of the British Beaufighter, Mk VII, but throughout 1943 innovations such as dive-brakes and rocket projectiles began to be introduced. Mks VIII and IX were similarly superseded and finally a version basically similar to the British Beaufighter TF, Mk X, was produced and designated DAP Bristol Beaufighter 21. Unlike the British version, the ASV seamer and dorsal fin were never applied to the DAP Model. However, like the Mk Xs used by the RAAF in Europe all the Hercules XVIIs had their two-speed blowers made fully operational, thus becoming Hercules XVIIIs.
The first DAP Beaufighter was flown on May 26 1944, and five days later, the aircraft was taken over by the RAAF. As production mounted in the Fishermen's Bend and Mascot factories, the Australian A8 Beaufighter began to replace the British A19 Beaufighter. The smooth running sleeve-valve engine and the devastating fire-power of cannon rockets and machine-guns had already earned the Beaufighter the title of "Whispering Death" and the Australian version continued to wreak great havoc throughout New Guinea, the Celebes and the Philippines. The aircraft served with Nos 22, 30, 31, 92 and 93 Sqns, and when production ceased at the end of 1945, a total of 364 DAP Beaufighters had been built.
In the post-war years, Beaufighters continued to operate with No 30 Sqn, and they were gradually relegated to a target-towing role. Although most of the aircraft were withdrawn from service in 1955-56, two Beaufighters, A8-357 and 363, continued to be used at Woomera for missile aerial recovery duties, and these aircraft operated with Kangaroo roundels. The last aircraft, A8-357, was flown to Edinburgh for disposal by Wg Cdr Williamson on December 9 1957.
DESCRIPTION: Two-seat strike fighter
POWER PLANT: Two Briston Hercules XVIII radial engines.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 57 ft 10 ins; length, 44 ft 8 ins; height 15 ft. 19 ins.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 15,600 lb; loaded 25,150 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 320 mph at 10,000 ft. Climb, 35 mins to 5,000 ft. Range, 1170 miles. Service ceiling 19,000 ft.
ARMAMENT: Four 20 mm cannons in fuselage nose and four 0.5 in. guns in the wings. A 0.3 in. gun could be mounted in the rear capola and eight rockets plus two 250 lb bombs could also be carried.
Link to Beau Mk 21:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=1474
Credits as above.
A-20 CAC WIRRAWAY
In 1936, Wg Cdr L.J. Wackett led a mission abroad to select a general purpose aircraft for manufacture by the newly-formed Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC). The mission unanimously recommended the North American NA-33, and plans were made to produce a modified version to be known as the Wirraway (aboriginal for challenge).
Subsequent to RAAF selection, the NA-33 was ordered by other air forces and it became known as the Texan in America and the Harvard throughout the Empire. The Australian Wirraway version was modified for operations, and the NA-33 single wing-gun was replaced by twin synchronised guns in blast troughs above the fuselage, plus a flexible gun in the rear cockpit. Camera and radio installations were introduced, and the wing and tail units were redesigned and strengthened for dive-bombing in later variants only.
The first Wirraway, A20-3, was test flown by Flt. Lt Boss Walker on March 27, 1939, and the first three RAAF Wirraways were accepted in July 1939. By December 1940, seven aircraft were being delivered weekly, and by September 1941, 45 Wirraways per month were coming off the production line. The initial orders for 620 aircraft were completed by June 1942, but limited production continued until 1946 when the 755th Wirraway, A20-757, was delivered. CAC designations for Wirraway orders included CA-1, -3, -5, -7, -8, -9, -10 (a bomber version which was cancelled), -10A (dive bomber), and -16. The designation CA-20 covered the conversion of Wirraways for the RAN.
In 1940/41, camouflaged Wirraways were deployed to forward bases in Malaya (No 21 Sqn) Rabaul (No 24 Sqn), and Darwin (No 12 Sqn). On January 6 1942, Flt Lt B. Anderson, of No 24 Sqn became the first RAAF pilot to engage in air-to-air combat in the South-West Pacific, when his Wirraway intercepted a Kawanisi (Mavis) flying-boat over Rabaul. Two weeks later, on January 20, 1942, the Rabaul Wirraways achieved immortal fame when eight aircraft, including A20-177, piloted by Sgt W Hewett, courageously engaged a force of over 100 Japanese fighters and bombers. Although hopelessly outclassed by enemy aircraft, the Wirraway remained in the front line as a stop-gap fighter, and on December 26 1942 Wirraway history was made when Plt. Off J. Archer, in A20-103, succeeded in shooting down a Zero near Gona. Wirraways served mainly with Nos 4, 5, 12, 14, 21, 22, 24, 25, 54, 60, 78, 82, 85 and 87 Sqdns, although most squadrons had Wirraways on strength at one time or another. In addition, the aircraft was used extensively for the Empire Air Training Scheme, and many Australian fighter pilots learnt their trade in the Wirraway.
The Wirraway continued to serve as a trainer and communications aircraft until 1959 and of interest is the fact that a Wirraway was used in 1947/48 by No 81 Wing whilst on duty with the BCOF in Japan.
Today, Wirraways can be found at Bull Creek, WA, the Australian War Memorial, Moorabbin Air Museum and the RAAF Museum. Several more are under restoration. These examples are on hand to remind us of the first Australian mass-produced aircraft - a tribute, in one respect, to Sir Lawrence Wackett who had the foresight and ingenuity to provide Australia with an efficient aircraft in a time of need.
DESCRIPTION: Two seat general purpose monoplane, of all metal stressed-skin construction.
POWER PLANT: One 600 hp (Pratt and Whitney licence) Wasp - nine cylinder air-cooled radial engine.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 43 ft; length, 29 ft; height 12 ft 3 ins.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 3,980 lb; loaded, 6,450 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 220 mph at 8,600 ft. Rate of climb 1,950 ft/min. Range 510 miles. Ceiling 23,000 ft.
ARMAMENT: Twin synchronized 0.303 guns mounted above fuselage, and one manually operated rear cockpit 0.303 gun. Light bomb load carried externally beneath wings.
Link to the SF Wirrawayhttp://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2078
Model by Bunyap, Cockpit by Wolf (actually the P-40B cockpit, with some re-texturing by Charles) Pilot by Geo, Gunner by Capun, Flight model, data files, screens and package by Charles.
A-28 DOUGLAS BOSTON/HAVOC
The prototype Douglas DB-7 first flew in December 1938, and subsequent versions were the most produced of all American aircraft in the "attack" category. Amongst the many variants, DB-7s operated with the French and Russian Air Forces, Bostons, Mks I to V, with the RAF (the Mk II was called the Havoc), BD-1s and -2s with the USN, while numerous versions of A-20s, P-70s and F-3s served with the USAAC.
RAAF Bostons included Mk IIIs (A-20C) with transparent noses for bomb-aimers, and Mk IVs (A-20G) with enclosed gun-carrying nose. Most Mk IIIs were modified to Mk IV standard, and other improvements included the installation of long-range tanks and increased armament. The 69 RAAF Bostons were numbered A28-1/40 and A28-59/78, and were taken on strength between March 29 1942, and October 4 1944.
The Bostons served with No 22 Squadron where their operations became known as "Boston Tea Parties" and individual aircraft became legendary; Wg Cdr Learmonth's "She's Apples" set a SW Pacific bombing record; FltLt Williamson's A28-5 was belly-landed with a bomb load and was back in operations within hours; and, most famous of all, FltLt Newton's A28-3 which crashed off Salamaua on March 18 1943, prior to his posthumous VC award.
Ironically, 13 Bostons were damaged by an enemy air raid at Morotai on November 23 1944, at a time when No 22 Squadron had been notified that it was to re-equip with Beaufighters. By 1946, the few remaining Bostons had been either returned to the USAAF or issued for disposal.
DESCRIPTION: Light attack bomber with 3 crew. All metal stressed-skin construction.
POWER PLANT: Two 1,600 hp Wright Double-Row Cyclone GR-2600-A5B.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 61 ft 4 ins; length, 47 ft; height 15 ft 10 ins.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 12,200 lb; loaded, 25,000 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed 304 mph at 13,000 ft.Tactical climb, 1,200 ft/min. Range, 1,020 miles. Service ceiling, 24,250 ft.
ARMAMENT: Four fixed 0.303 guns in nose, twin hand operated guns in dorsal and ventral positions. Bomb load 2,000 lb.
Link to SF Boston IIIhttp://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=1713
Model work by capun, Texures by Gramps, FM by Charles, Screens by The Wrench & Wehner, Virtual Cockpit by Kesselbrut, mod by Charles
Link to RAAF Boston III skin:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2124
Link to SF A-20G Havoc:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=1689
Credits: As above
A-29 CURTISS KITTYHAWK
Developed from the P-36A (radial engined Curtiss Mohawk), the XP-40 of 1938 was a similar fighter fitted with an Allison liquid-cooled, in-line, engine. The first production P-40s (P-40A, B and C) were supplied to the RAF as Tomahawks and were used by No 3 Squadron, RAAF, in the Middle East, where Wg Cdr "Killer" Caldwell scored over 20 victories. The next version of this Curtiss fighter, the P-40D, became known as the Kittyhawk Mk I, and was followed by the P-40E (Mk IA), P-40F (Mk II), P-40K, M (Mk III) and the P-40N (Mk IV). In the USAAF the latter P-40 series were known as Warhawks.
Early in 1942, the Japanese were threatening New Guinea, and great expectations centred around the operation debut of the RAAF's new, and only, fighter which hard-pressed troops were calling the "Never-hawk".
Then in March 1942, when No 75 Squadron flew its Kittyhawks into operations over Port Moresby, the tide of battle began to turn and, for most of the war years, the Kittyhawks of Nos 75, 76, 77, 78, 80, 82, 84 and 86 Squadrons bore the brunt of air warfare in the counter-air and fighter-bomber roles. Many famous RAAF fighter pilots were associated with Kittyhawks including SqLdr "Bluey" Truscott who was killed in A29-150 on March 28 1943.
The 841 RAAF Kittyhawks included Mks I to IV with the following serials: A29-1/205, A29-300/389, A29-400/587, A29-600/704, A29-800/811, A29-819/828, A29-900/928, A29-1000/1079, A29-1100/1221. In addition, the RAAF ordered 67 Kittyhawks (C3-500/566) for No 120 (NEI) Squadron. Kittyhawk flying ceased in 1947.
DESCRIPTION: Single-seat fighter-bomber. All metal stressed-skin construction.
POWER PLANT: One 1,600 hp Allison V-1710-73 or 81.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 37 ft. 31/2 ins; length 33 ft 33/4 ins; height, 10 ft. 7 ins.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 6,000 lb; loaded 8,500 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 364 mph at 5,000 ft. Climb, 9 mins to 15,000 ft. Normal range, 810 miles. Service ceiling 30,000 ft.
ARMAMENT: Six 0.50 calibre guns in wings, and provision for 1,000 lb of bombs.
Link to SF Kittyhawkhttp://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=1243
capun (model), Gramps (textures), Kesselbrut (virtual cockpits) and
Charles proudly introduces Wolf257's P-40E.
P40- Skin Link: 77 Squdron texture by mehttp://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2077
80 Squadron texture by me:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2074
A-46 CAC BOOMERANG
When Japan entered World War II in December 1941, the RAAF did not possess a single fighter aircraft for home defence and, consequently, a decision was hurriedly made to produce a local fighter as a stop-gap measure to meet the threatened Japanese onslaught. Fortunately, the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation already had plans in hand for an interceptor aircraft, and this promising design was ordered into production on February 2 1942. Thus, Australia's first single-seat fighter came from an organisation headed by Lawrence Wackett, who was also responsible for the country's first indigenous fighter, the two-seat Wackett Warrigal Mk II of 1930.
Named the Boomerang, the new fighter was designed as an interceptor with a high rate of climb and good manoeuvrability. To obtain the best performance, the aircraft was fitted with the most powerful engine in Australia - the 1,200 hp Twin Wasp which was in production for the DAP Bristol Beaufort. Airframe construction was accelerated by incorporating many Wirraway components, and production proceeded so well that the first aircraft progressed from drawing board to test flight in less than four months. Test pilot Ken Frewin flew A46-1 on May 29 1942, and subsequent tests revealed that the Boomerang had a lively performance, good handling qualities, and was an effective gun-platform for its cannons and machine-guns.
As production progressed, many improvements and modifications were incorporated, and the various standard versions were grouped under three CAC designations: CA-12, CA-13 and CA-19. In addition, a high performance prototype, the CA-14 was built with a turbo-supercharger. This same aircraft was later streamlined and fitted with a square-cut tail assembly and became the CA-14A. Altogether, 250 Boomerangs were built and the various versions included 105 CA-12s, (A46-1/105), 95 CA-13s (A46-106/200), 49 CA-19s (A46-201/249), whilst the sole CA-14/CA-14A was numbered in the prototype range as A46-1001.
The RAAF accepted the first Boomerang, A46-1, on July 15 1942, and the last aircraft, A46-249 was delivered on February 1 1945. Initial pilot conversion was carried out with No 2 Operational Training Unit (OTU) at Mildura, and these pilots formed the first operational units, Nos 83, 84 and 85 Sqns. The first enemy contact was made on May 16 1943, when Boomerangs from No 84 Sqn intercepted and drove off three Betty bombers. For many months, the Boomerangs successfully carried out many similar sorties until, eventually, they were replaced by Kittyhawks and Spitfires. Relegated to the army co-operation role with Nos 4 and 5 Sqn the Boomerangs soon established a high reputation for effective strikes throughout New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, and Borneo; particularly so in co-ordinated operations with RNZAF Corsairs.
DESCRIPTION: Single-seat interceptor and ground attack fighter. Metal and wood construction.
POWER PLANT: One 1,200 hp CAC licence built Pratt and Whitney Twin Wasp R1830.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 36 ft; length, 26 ft 9 ins; height, 9 ft. 7 ins.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 5,373 lb; loaded 7,699 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 305 mph at 15,000 ft. Initial rate of climb, 2,940 ft/min. Service ceiling 29,000 ft.
ARMAMENT: Two 20 mm Hispano or CAC manufactured cannons. Four 0.303 Browning machine-guns. Bombs could be substituted when the large drop tank was not carried.
Link to SF Boomerang:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=1590
Model work by capun, Texures by Gramps, FM by Charles, Screens by The Wrench
A-47 NORTH AMERICAN MITCHELL
The North American NA-62 was one of the best twin-engined, medium bombers of World War II. The first aircraft flew on August 19 1940 and, subsequently, almost 11,000 versions operated with Allied airforces throughout the world.
Officially designated the B-25 the bomber was later named the Mitchell in honour of General Mitchell who had been court-martialled in 1925 for his outspoken views on air power. Other generals associated with the aircraft included General Doolittle who led 16 B-25Bs from the aircraft-carrier USS "Hornet" in the historic Tokyo raid on April 18 1942, and General Kenny under whose command B-25C/Ds (Mitchell IIs) were converted at RAAF Townsville for ground strafing. These field modifications culminated in the B-25J (Mitchell III) which was the most effective version of this famous bomber.
In 1942, the RAAF accepted a number of Mitchells on behalf of the Dutch Government. These aircraft equipped No 18 (Netherlands East Indies) Sqn and by 1945, 150 Mitchells of various marks had been received.
In April 1944, No 2 Sqn replaced its Beauforts with Mitchells and the first 39 aircraft (A47-1/39) were transferred from No 18 (NEI) Sqn. A total of 50 Mitchells were operated by No 2 Sqn including 30 Mitchell IIs (A47-1/25, 33/37) and 20 Mitchell IIIs (A47-26/32, 38/50). The Mitchells of Nos 2 and 18 (NEI) Sqns formed No 79 Wing, and these aircraft carried out many successful strikes against enemy targets. At the end of the war, the Mitchells of No 2 Sqn helped evacuate and return many POWs, and the aircraft were finally phased out of service in 1946.
DESCRIPTION: Medium bomber with 5/6 crew. All metal stressed-skin construction. Company designation NA-108.
POWER PLANT: Two 1,700 hp Wright Cyclone R-2600-92.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 67 ft. 7 ins; length, 52 ft 11 ins; height, 16 ft 4 ins.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 19,480 lb; loaded, 35,000 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 272 mph at 13,000 ft.. Cruising 230 mph. Service ceiling 24,200 ft. Range, 1,350 miles.
ARMAMENT: Twelve 0.50 in. machine-guns, eight 5 in. Rockets and 3,000 lb bomb load.
Link to SF B-25J:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=1649
Model work by capun, Texures by Gramps, FM by Charles, Visual Cockpits by Kesselbrut, Screens by The Wrench
Link To RAAF B-25J Skin:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2151
A-51 BREWSTER BUFFALO
The Brewster F2A-1 was test-flown in January 1938, and was the first monoplane fighter used by the US Navy. Improved versions, including the F2A-2, -3, were purchased as Buffaloes in 1940 by Finland, Belgium and England. The RAF found that the Buffalo with its large, rotund fuselage and underpowered engine had many operational limitations, and was unsuitable for the European war theatre. As a result, the Buffaloes were transferred to the Far East where a number of these aircraft were taken over by the two RAAF fighter units in Malaya - Nos 21 and 453 Sqns. On the outbreak of Japanese hostilities, the RAAF, RAF, and RNZAF Buffaloes, supported by Dutch Buffaloes, fought gallantly, but were out-classed and outnumbered by the Japanese Zeros.
Meantime, Allied forces were grouping in Australia to halt the Japanese advance, and although fighter aircraft were at a premium, 17 Buffaloes (A51-1/17) were delivered to the RAAF for home defence.
These aircraft were taken on strength between June/October 1942, and served with Nos 24, 25, 85, and 87 Sqns. The RAAF Buffaloes were used for a period of 12 months in PR and air defence roles. During this time, four aircraft were written off (A51-2, -4, -5 and -6) and the remaining 13 Buffalo were progressively transferred to the US 5th Air Force.
Buffalo activities in Australia were limited, but in Malaya the Buffalo pilots of Nos 21 and 453 Sqns left behind a record of heroism and sacrifice rarely surpassed in RAAF history.
DESCRIPTION: Single-seat fighter. All-metal, stressed-skin construction.
POWER PLANT: One 1,200 hp Wright Cyclone.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 35 ft; length, 26 ft; height, 12 ft 1 in.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 4,479 lb; loaded 6,840 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 313 mph at 13,500 ft. Cruising speed, 255 mph. Initial climb, 2,070 ft/min. Range 650 miles.Ceiling 30,500 ft.
ARMAMENT: Two 0.50 guns guns in fuselage, and two 0.50 guns in wings.
Link to SF Buffalo:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=1699
Credits: Model work by capun, Texures by Gramps, FM by Charles, Visual Cockpits by Kesselbrut, Screens by The Wrench
Link to RAAF Skin:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2142
A-52 DE HAVILLAND MOSQUITO
1 Squadron Mosquito
In 1942, the Australian de Havilland factory at Bankstown commenced production of a fighter-bomber Mosquito, the DHA98 FB Mk 40. Initial delays were caused by the unavailability of Canadian birchwood, and Australian coachwood had to be substituted. The first Australian Mosquito was delivered on July 23 1943, and accepted by the RAAF on March 5 1944. The FB Mk 40 was equivalent to the RAF FB Mk VI (the RAF retained Roman numerals until 1948) and although 212 were built at Bankstown (A52-1/212) only 209 served with the RAAF because A52-12, 18, 24 crashed before acceptance.
Six of the FB Mk 40s were converted for photo-reconnaissance as PR Mk 40s, and they retained their original serials: A52-2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 26. These aircraft operated so effectively that a further 28 FB Mk 40s were converted to PR Mk 41s and renumbered, A52-300/327, (ex A52-90, 192/211, 41, 45, 49, 62, 64, 83, 36 respectively). Previously, A52-90 had been re-engined with Packard Merlin 69s and became the sole FB Mk 42: however, this mark was superseded and A52-90 was used as the prototype for the PR Mk 41 and reserialled A52-300.
On January 28 43, a RAF Mk II (DD664) became the first Mosquito to operate with the RAAF when, as A52-1001, it was used as the prototype for the local FB Mk 40. It was also the forerunner of 14 RAF T Mk IIIs (A52-1002/1015). Australian versions of these trainers were developed by converting 22 FB Mk 40s to T Mk 43s with the new serials A52-1050/1071 (ex A52-3, 16, 17, 19, 20, 10, 8, 11, 21, 22, 25, 27, 28, 30, 31, 32, 33, 37, 38, 39, 42, 44, respectively). In addition, a further 61 ex-RAF bomber Mosquitoes were used by the RAAF as follows: - 38 B Mk VIs (A52-500/537) and 23 B Mk XVIs (A52-600/622). Thus, altogether 209 Australian Mosquitoes and 76 UK Mosquitoes served with the RAAF. These aircraft fitted with a variety of engines including Merlin 31s, Merlin 33s and Packard Merlin 69s.
The RAAF Mosquitoes played a limited, but effective, part in the later years of the Pacific War and serviced with No 1 PRU, No 87, 94 Sqns No 78 Wing No 1 APU, ARDU, CFS, CCU, No 5 OTU and Ferry/Survey Flights. Post-war, PR Mosquitoes were used extensively between 1947/53 on survey flying throughout Australia. Mosquito flying ceased, mainly in 1954, and the aircraft still on RAAF strength were passed to DAP for disposal, except for a few which were transferred to the RNZAF.
DESCRIPTION: Long-range, high-altitude fighter bomber. Crew 2. All wooden construction.
POWER PLANT: Two 1,460 hp Packard Merlin 31s or Merlin 33s.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 54 ft 2 ins; length, 40 ft 6 ins; height 12 ft 6 ins.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 14,144 lb; loaded 22,258 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 373 mph. Cruising speed 255 mph. Initial climb, 2,400ft/min. Ceiling 33,000 ft. Max range, 1,855 miles.
ARMAMENT: Four 20 mm cannon, four 0.303 guns forward. Two 500lb bombs in fuselage, plus two 500 lb bombs, or Rocket Projectiles under the wings.
Link to SF Mosquito:
The Mosquito MkIV is brought to you by Pasko, Starfighter, and myself.
Link to RAAF Skins:
MkVI Foilage Green
A-53 BELL P-39 AIRACOBRA
For its day, the Bell P-39 was quite an unusual fighter. It had an car type cockpit side door, a cannon firing through the propeller hub, a tricycle undercarriage and the engine was placed behind the pilot. First flights were made in April 1939, and the fighter was ordered by the RAF as the Airacobra I (P-400).
These export versions were equivalent to P-39Ds except that they mounted the more rapid firing 20 mm cannon in lieu of the standard 37 mm cannon. Unfortunately, the Airacobra's high-altitude performance was inadequate because a turbo-supercharger was not fitted, and most RAF versions were transferred to Russia.
The first USA AC P-39 operations occurred when the P-39s defending Australia went into action from Port Morsby on April 30 1942. These American P-39s were soon augmented by a number of Airacobras (including P-39Ds with 20 mm cannon and P-39Fs with 37 mm cannon) which were diverted to the RAAF.
On July 27 1942, 14 Airacobras (A53-1/14) were received at No 2 AP Bankstown, and these aircraft subsequently, operated with Nos 23, 24, 82 and 83 Sqns. A further five Airacobras arrived in May 1943 (A53-15/19) and three more were received in July 1943 (A53-20/22). However, except for A53-19 which went to No 82 Wing, these last seven aircraft remained at No 3 AD. By November 1943, all the Airacobras had been returned to the 5th Air Force, with the exception of A53-1, -3, -5 and -8, which were written off in accidents.
DESCRIPTION: Single-seat fighter. All-metal, stressed-skin construction.
POWER PLANT: One 1,150 hp Allison.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 34 ft; length, 34 ft 2 ins; height, 9 ft 31/2 ins.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 5,360 lb; loaded 7,380 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 358 mph. Cruising speed, 335 mph. Initial climb, 3,750 ft/min. Max range, 1,098 miles. Ceiling, 35,000 ft.
ARMAMENT: One 20 mm cannon firing through airscrew boss, plus two 0.303 guns in nose and four 0.303 guns in wings.
Link to SF P-39:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=719
Credits: Thanks to WOLF257
Link to RAAF SF Skin 82 SQN P-39:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2083
A-55 LOCKHEED P-38 LIGHTNING
The Lockheed P-38 Lightning was one of America's outstanding fighters of World War II. It was slower and less manoeuvrable than the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt and the North American P-51 Mustang, but its offensive reputation was second to none: so much so that the Luftwaffe referred to the Lightning as "der gabel-schwanz tenfel" or, the forked-tailed devil. Design work on the Lightning began in 1937 and the prototype XP-38 first flew on 27 Jan 39. Improved versions followed and by Aug 45, a total of 9,923 Lightnings had been built. Throughout the war years, the Lightning served in many areas in a wide variety of roles, but it was particularly successful in the Pacific theatre where its long-range and twin-engined capabilities proved to be most effective.
In order to meet an urgent RAAF requirement for photographic reconnaissance, three P-38Es were transferred from the USAAC for service with No 1 PRU. The first Lightning, A55-1, was received on August 31 1942, and operated successfully until it was written-off in a landing accident on August 2 1944 at Coomallie Strip. The second aircraft, A55-2 had a less spectacular career and operated only between 4 Sep 42 and 18 Dec 42, and was phased out of service on the latter date. The third Lightning, A55-3 was received from the USAF at Eagle Farm on February 27 1943 and operated throughout the year until it was written-off in a wheels-up landing on December 10 1943. Actually, the P-38E was not designed as a PR aircraft, but circumstances caused it to be used in this role by the RAAF.
DESCRIPTION: Twin-engined, high-altitude, long-range, single seat fighter. Modified by the RAAF for PR missions.
POWER PLANT: Two, 1,150 hp Allison V-1710-27/29.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 52 ft; length, 37 ft 10 ins; height, 9ft 10 ins.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 11,880 lb; loaded, 15,482 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 395 mph. Climb, 3,000 ft/min. Service ceiling, 39,000 ft. Range 500 miles.
ARMAMENT: PR cameras substituted for one 20 mm cannon and four 0.50 in guns.
Link to SF P-38:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=716
Thanks to WOLF 257
Link to RAAF Skin:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2080
87 Sqn Lightning
A-56 REPUBLIC P-43 LANCER
In 1937, Seversky delivered 76 P-35 single-seat fighters to the USAAC. The last of these aircraft was fitted with a revised wing and a turbo-supercharged engine and became the XP-41 of 1938. This experimental version was virtually the prototype of the 1940 Republic P-43 Lancer - in October 1939, Seversky left the firm he had founded and the company became known as Republic Aviation. Production of the Lancers included 54 P-43s, 80 P-43As, and 125 P-43A-1s. In 1942 most Lancers were converted for PR duties and, depending upon the camera installations, were redesignated P-43Bs, Cs, Ds, or Es. A development of the P-43 was the proposed P-44 Rocket which, in turn, led to the famed Republic P-47 Thunderbolt.
In 1942 eight Lancers were delivered to the RAAF to augment the Buffaloes and Lightnings of the Photographic Reconnaissance Unit. Six of the aircraft, A56-1 and 2 (P-43Ds) and A56-3/6 (P-43-A-1s) were received on August 31 1942, and the remaining two, A56-7 and 8 (P-43Ds) arrived on 10th November 1942. The Lancers operated with PRU until the following year when A56-1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 8 were transferred to the US 5th Air Force at Charters Towers. Of the remaining two Lancers, A56-6 was taken off strength on 8th March 1943, and at the time, A56-7 was officially listed as "Missing. Aircraft left Wagga on 28th April 1943, and has not been sighted since". This mystery was solved 15 years later when Lancer A56-7 was located in 1958 in the Healesville Hills, north-east of Melbourne.
DESCRIPTION: Single-seat fighter modified for PR duties. All metal, stressed-skin construction.
POWER PLANT: One 1,200 hp Pratt and Whitney R-1830-57.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 36 ft; length, 28 ft. 6 ins; height 14 ft.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 5,996 lb; loaded 7,435 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed 356 mph at 20,000 ft. Cruising speed, 280 mph. Initial climb, 2,850 ft/min. Service ceiling 38,000 ft. Range 800 miles.
ARMAMENT: Two 0.50 in and two 0.30 in machine guns, - replaced in PR versions by PR cameras.
Link to SF P-43:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=1521
Credits: Model work by capun, Texures by Gramps, FM and Screens by
Charles, Virtual Cockpit by Kesselbrut.
Comes complete with RAAF Skin of 87 PRU
A-58 SUPERMARINE SPITFIRE
In 1942, the RAAF allocated the serial A58 to an aircraft which, rather surprisingly, was called the Capstan. This well-known cigarette name was selected as a security measure to cover the Australian debut of the most famous fighter of World War II - the Vickers Supermarine Spitfire. The prototype Spitfire first flew on March 5 1936 and, by 1940, sufficient numbers had been produced to turn the tide in the Battle of Britain. This remarkable fighter, of which 20,351 were built in 40 major variants, fought on every front with practically every Allied Air Force. In the UK, RAF serialled Spitfires were flown by the RAAF's Nos 451, 451, 453 and 457 Sqns.
The 656 Spitfires delivered to the RAAF between August 1942 and June 1945 included 245 Mk Vcs (A58-1/185 and A58-200/259), 251 Mk VIIIs (A58-300/550) and 159 HF Mk VIIIs (A58-600/758) plus a Mk Vc, EE-731, which did not receive an A58 number. These fighters operated in Australia with Nos 79, 85 Sqns and the redeployed Nos 452, 457 Sqns, together with Spitfires from RAF Nos 54, 548 and 549 Sqns. The Spitfires, in association with Kittyhawks, formed the RAAF's main defensive and offensive fighter force until 1945, when both fighter types were superseded by the CAC Mustang. Spitfire disposal action occurred between 1946/1952.
DESCRIPTION: Single-seat fighter. All-metal stressed skin construction.
POWER PLANT: One 1,520 hp Merlin 61, or 1,710 hp Merlin 63/63A.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 36 ft. 10 ins.; length, 31 ft. 3 1/2 ins; height, 11 ft. 8 1/2 ins.
WEIGHTS: Loaded, 7,767 lb; max. permissible, 8,000 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed. 408 mph at 25,000 ft. Climb rate, 7 mins to 20,000 ft. Service ceiling, 43,000 ft.
ARMAMENT: Two 20 mm cannons plus four 0.303 guns, and 1,000 lb of bombs.
Link to SF Spitfire Vb:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=897
Credits: Model work by capun, Texures by Gramps, FM and Screens by
Charles, Virtual Cockpit by Kesselbrut.
Comes complete with RAAF Skin of 452 Sqn.
Credits: as above
Comes complete with RAAF skin of 457 Sqn.
A-66 AVRO LANCASTER
The Lancaster was the most famous and successful RAF heavy bomber of World War II. The prototype first flew on January 9 1941, and was the forerunner of 7,374 Lancasters. Bomb loads grew from 4,000 lb to the 22, 000 lb "Grand Slam", and Lancasters dropped two-thirds of the total tonnage of all RAF bombs against Germany. Nos 460, 463 and 467 (RAAF) Sqns based in the UK, used RAF serialled Lancasters, and many other Australians flew with RAF Lancaster squadrons including the famous No 617 "Dambuster" Sqn.
European war demands restricted the use of the Lancaster to that area, but one Lancaster III ED930, "Q for Queenie" arrived in Australia on June 4, 1943. Flown by Flt Lt P Isaacson, the bomber toured New Zealand and, with the serial A66-1, was then used for war bond drives and recruiting campaigns. In October 1944, it was allocated to DAP as a pattern aircraft for Australian Lancaster production, but Lincolns were built instead and A66-1 was eventually scrapped in 1948. A second Lancaster, a Mk I, W4783, "G for George" of No 460 (RAAF) Sqn arrived in Australia on November 8, 1944. Flown by Flt. Lt Hudson, it was demonstrated as A66-2 and, in 1950, was transferred to the Australian War Memorial where it stands today with the original serial number W4783.
In April 1945, four Lancaster IIIs (PB974, PB992/994) were allocated to the RAAF for research, but this project was cancelled. Post-war Qantas Lancastrians carried mail and passengers to Japan under RAAF charter. In the 1960s, the Air Force Association preserved French Naval Lancaster WU-16 at Perth, joining W4783 as memorials to those Australians who served with Bomber Command during World War II.
DESCRIPTION: Heavy bomber with 7 crew. All metal stressed-skin construction.
POWER PLANT: Four 1,460 hp Merlin 20, 22 or 1,640 hp Merlin 24.
DIMENSIONS: Span 102 ft; length 69 ft 6 ins; height 20 ft.
WEIGHTS: Empty 36,900 lb; loaded 68,000 lb (70,000 lb when carrying 22,000 lb bombs).
PERFORMANCE: Max speed 287 mph at 11,500 ft. Range 1,660 miles. Service ceiling 24,500 ft.
ARMAMENT: Twin 0.303 guns in nose and dorsal turrets, plus four 0.303 guns in tail turret. Bomb load 22,000 lb or 14,000 lb normal bombs.
Link to SF Lancaster:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=1256
Model work by capun, Texures by Gramps, Virtual Cockpit by Kesselbrut,
Comes with noseart depicting RAAF Lancaster s D for Digger, K for Kookaburra, G for George, S for Sugar, and A for ANZAC
A-65 DOUGLAS C-47 DAKOTA
The Douglas DC-1 flew for the first time on 1 July 1933 and this "one-off" aircraft was developed into the DC-2 of 1934, and the DC-3 of 1935. Military versions of the DC-3 were produced for troop and freight movements, and these aircraft entered service with the United States Army Air Corps in 1941 as the C-53 Skytrooper, and in 1942 as the C-47 Skytrain - the latter version being fitted with large freight doors. In the Royal Air Force, these aircraft became known as Dakota I (C-47), Dakota II (C-53), Dakota III (C-47A), and Dakota IV (C-47B). Altogether 10,926 DC-3s were built, including 10,123 military versions.
RAAF Dakotas began operating in February 1943 and included nine Dakota Is (A65-1/9), 50 Dakota IIIs (A65-10/59) and 65 Dakota IVs (A65-60/124): actually A65-123/124 were C-47Ds which were revamped versions of the C-47B. In addition, No 36 Squadron operated 23 C-53s and one C-49 (impressed DC-3) on loan from the US Army Air Force during 1943-44. Wartime Dakota units included Nos 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 and 38 Squadrons and No 1 Communication Unit.
Post-war, the Dakota has served wherever the RAAF has operated New Guinea, Japan, Malaya, Korea, and Thailand. RAAF aircrews also flew RAF-serialled Dakotas in the 1948-49 Berlin Airlift. Other Dakota activities include spraying experiments, glider-towing, rain-making, VIP transport and Antarctic research. Alongside transport operations, Dakotas also served as training aircraft, serving with No 1 Flying Training School, the Central Flying School and the School of Air Navigation. The final role for the Dakota in RAAF service was with the Aircraft Research and Development Unit (ARDU) at RAAF Base Edinburgh in South Australia, where the aircraft were used in support of flight test activities, and were themselves fitted with many items of special equipment during flight tests.
In March 1999, these activities also came to an end, closing the book on the 56-year career of the Dakota in RAAF service.
The RAN also operated two ex-RAAF Dakotas.
POWER PLANT:Two 1200 hp Pratt and Whitney Twin Wasp R1830-92.
DIMENSIONS:Span 28.95 m (95 ft); length 19.62 m (64 ft 6 in); height 5.15 m (16 ft 11 in).
WEIGHTS:Empty 8250 kg (18 190 lb); loaded 13 290 kg (29 300 lb).
PERFORMANCE:Max speed 368 km/h (199 kt); Cruising speed 280 km/h (151 kt); Initial climb 353 m (1160 ft)/min; Range 2414 km (1303 nm); Service ceiling 24,000 ft (7315 m)..
Link to SF C-47B:
Credits: Thanks to the other A-Team members of Capun, Charles,
Kesselbrut & The Wrench for the C-47 Dakota.
The above link includes the texture shown above, as well as a USAAF texture. There is also a dedicated paratroop C-47 available at CombatAce, as well as an AC-47!
Also available is a post war texture, featuring the above 38 Squadron scheme!:
Link to 38 Squadron Post War Texture:
A-68 CAC MUSTANG
In 1943, the Australian Government arranged for the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC) to manufacture the Mustang Mk IV (P-51D) under licence from North American Aviation. The RAAF urgently needed a new fighter, and so the first CAC Mustangs were built mainly from imported semi-finished parts. A prototype Mustang, A68-1001 was used for development trials and the first Australian production Mustang, A68-1, flew on 29 April 45. This aircraft was handed over to the RAAF on 4 June 45 and was used for trials by No 1 APU until October 46. It was placed in storage until 1953 when it was delivered to the Department of Supply at Woomera.
The first 80 Mustang 20s (A68-1/80) were delivered with Packard Merlin V-1650-3 engines, under the CA-17 designation. A second contract called for 170 improved Mustangs, but only 120 were completed. Known as CA-18, the first 40 were built as Mustang 21s (A68-81/120) with Packard Merlin V-1650-7 engines. The remaining CA-18s comprised 14 Mustang 22s (A68-187/200) with Packard Merlin V-1650-7 engines. A CA-21 contract for a further 250 Mustangs was cancelled and, in lieu of the remaining CA-18s and CA-21s, 298 lend-lease P-51Ds and Ks were taken on strength (A68-500/583 and A68-600/813).
In addition, the RAAF also accepted Mustangs for the Netherland East Indies Air Force (N3-600/640). Produced too late for World War II, RAAF Mustangs were assigned to Japan for occupation duties and, early in 1946, No 76, 77 and 82 Sqns flew into Iwakuni. In 1949 Nos 76 and 82 Sqns withdrew to Australian and the Mustangs of No 77 Sqn remained to take part in the Korean War from Jun 50 until Apr 51, when they were replaced by Gloster Meteors.
In Australia, Mustangs remained in service with CAF Sqns until they were withdrawn from service in 1959.
DESCRIPTION: Single seat, long range fighter. All metal stressed-skin construction.
POWER PLANT: One 1,490 hp Packard Merlin V 1650 7.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 37 ft: length, 32 ft 3 ins; height 8 ft 8 ins.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 7,000 lb; loaded, 11,600 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 437 mph at 25,000 ft. Climb, 13 mins/30,000 ft. Service ceiling 41,900 ft. Range, 950 miles normal/1,7000 miles max.
ARMAMENT: Six 0.50 calibre guns; two 1,000 lb. bombs or up to 10 rockets.
Link to SF P-51:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=972
Credits: Thanks to WOLF257
Link to RAAF Skin:
77 Sqn from the Korean War by Walter "Torquatus" Manley
A-72 CONSOLIDATED LIBERATOR
Due to the withdrawal from New Guinea of Nos 21, 23 and 24 Squadrons equipped with Vultee Vengeance dive bombers, it was decided that these squadrons should be re-equipped first and RAAF aircrews were trained and flew operationally with the 380th BG prior to the arrival of the first nine Liberators for the RAAF in February, 1944.
The first aircraft equipped 7 Operational Training Unit at Tocumwal, NSW, followed by 24 Squadron shortly afterwards. Delivery delays meant that 21 Squadron was not operational until January, 1945 and 23 Squadron three months after that. 24 Squadron began operations from its base in Katherine in the Northern Territory, later moving to Fenton to join 21 and 23 Squadrons to form 82 (Bomber) Wing. These three squadrons played a decisive role in the last months of the war, particularly in the Borneo campaign.
Other RAAF operational units flying the Liberator were 12 Squadron (based at Darwin), 99 (Leyburn, Queensland), 25 (Cundadin, Western Australia) and 102 (Cecil Downs, Queensland). In addition Nos 200 and 201 Flights flew the Liberator on covert and electronic surveillance missions. Post war the Liberator served only until 1948 when it was replaced by Australian built Avro Lincolns.
In Service: 1944 to 1948 Aircraft Numbers, Marks & Serials: 12 B-24Ds, Serial A72-1 to 12; 145 B-24Js, Serial A72-13 to 68 & A72-300 to 405; 83 B24-Ls, Serial A72-69 to 142 & A72-149 to 157; 47 B24-Ms, Serial A72-143 to 148 & A72-158 to 198.
DESCRIPTION: Heavy Bomber
CREW: Eight to Ten
POWER PLANT: Four 1,200 hp Pratt & Whitney R-1830-65 Twin Wasp radial engines
WEIGHT: Empty 38,000 lbs (17,237 kg), Loaded 65,000 lbs (29,484 kg)
DIMENSIONS: Wingspan 110 ft 0 in (33.53 m), Length 76 ft 2 in (20.47 m), Height 18 ft 0 in (5.48 m)
PERFORMANCE: Max Speed 260 kts (483 kph), Cruise 206 kts (382 kph), Ceiling 28,000 ft (8,534 m), Range (8,000 lbs bombs) 1,338 nm (2,478 km), Maximum 1,825 nm (3,379 km)
ARMAMENT: Ten 0.5 in machine guns in 4 turrets and waist mounts Bomb load of 5,000 - 8,000 lbs
Link to SF B-24J:http://home.earthlink.net/~pasko_patak/planes.html
The B-24J is brought to you by Pasko, Starfighter, Kesselbrut and myself.
It comes complete with a 21 Sqn texture
A-77 GLOSTER METEOR
On May 15 1941, the experimental Gloster E28/39 made the first flight by a British jet-propelled aircraft, and, on March 5 1943, the Gloster Meteor became the RAF's first operational jet aircraft. Meteor FIs and FIIIs were the only Allied jets to see action in World War II. For over a decade Meteor F4s and F8s were the main RAF interceptors, and other versions included the Meteor T7, FR9, PR10, and Armstrong Whitworth Meteors NF11 to 14.
In 1946 a Meteor captured Australian newspaper headlines when it flew over Melbourne at 490 mph. Imported on June 7 1946, this Meteor F4 carried out trials at Laverton and Darwin and, at one time, carried two identification numbers - the RAF serial EE427 and the RAAF allocation A77-1. However, it was not until 1951, when Meteors went into action with No 77 Sqn in Korea that these aircraft made their mark in RAAF history. Ninety-three Meteor F8s and six Meteor T7s were allocated to Korea with scattered serial numbers ranging between A77-2 (T7) and A77-982 (F8). They were used mainly in the ground-attack role, but also accounted for three MIG-15s. Forty-one F8s and three T7s returned to Australia aboard HMAS Vengeance, and by 1958 most Meteors had been replaced by CAC Sabres.
The remaining Meteors served with CAF squadrons until the RAAF "officially" retired the Meteor in 1963. However, Meteors with RAAF and RAF serials continued to fly on MOS trials at Edinburgh and Woomera, and included F4s, T7s, F8s, U. Mk 15 and 16, U Mk 21 and 21A, and NF11s (including A77-3).
DESCRIPTION: Single-seat interceptor and ground attack figher. All-metal, stressed-skin construction.
POWER PLANT: Two 3,600 lb. thrust, Rolls Royce Derwent 8's turbojets.
DIMENSIONS: Span, 37 ft 2 ins; length, 44 ft 7 ins; height, 13 ft 10 ins.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 10,626 lb; loaded, with ventral drop tanks, 19,100 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed 590 mph. Cruising speed 414 mph. Initial climb 6,950 ft/min. Range 980 miles at 30,000 ft. Service ceiling 44,000 ft.
ARMAMENT: Four 20-mm guns, plus rockets and bombs for ground-attack.
Link to SF Meteor:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=792
Meteor F.8 by Charles, Gramps and capun
Comes complete with 77 Sqn in Korea texture.
A-79 DHA VAMPIRE
In 1946 approval was given for the purchase of an initial quantity of 50 Vampire aircraft for the RAAF. The first three machines were British built aircraft, an F.1, F.2, and FB.5, and were given serial numbers A78-1 to 3, and the second aircraft, the F.2 (A78-2) was significant in that it was powered by a Rolls Royce Nene jet engine, rather than the usual Goblin.
All 80 F.30 fighters and FB.31 fighter bomber aircraft built in Australia by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation were to be powered by CAC license built versions of the Nene engine. The first CAC built Vampire, and F.30 fighter (A79-1) flew for the first time in June, 1949, and it was followed by 56 more F.30 variants before the final 23 aircraft were completed as FB.31s with strengthened and clipped wings with underwing hardpoints. The last FB.31 was delivered in August 1953 and 24 late production F.30s were subsequently upgraded to FB.31 standard. Of all the F.30 and FB.31 aircraft produced, only the first two had sequential serials, A79-1 and 2. For `security' reasons all later serials were scrambled, the third aircraft being identified as A70-560 for example and the fourth was A79- 484.
Vampire trainer production amounted to 110 aircraft, and the initial order was filled by 35 T.33s for the RAAF, deliveries being made in 1952, and 5 T.35s for the RAN, delivered in 1954. One extra aircraft was later built to replace an RAN machine lost in an accident, this being produced to the later T.34A standard with ejection seats and improved canopy, and conforming to the same standard as the RAAFs later T.35 trainers (69 aircraft).
Serial numbers for the Vampire trainers were sequential. The T.33s and T.34s being serialed in the A79-800 range, while the T.35s were marked from A79-600. Australia's Vampire operations were conducted under the auspices of 78 Wing, comprising 75 and 76 Squadrons. This Wing was sent to Malta in 1952 as part of the island's defences, and flew FB.9s hired from Britain and carrying RAF serials. The Wing took part in the 1953 Coronation Review and exercises in Germany before the deployment finished in 1954 along with the end of Vampire single seat
Force until CAF flying ceased in 1954. The trainer variants were operated by 1 AFTS at Point Cook and Pearce, the Central Flying School, 2 OTU (later 2 OCU) and 5 OTU. Trainers were also attached to the CAF squadrons. The Vampire trainers served until replaced by Macchi MB-326H aircraft from 1968, the last sortie being flown in September, 1970. RAN Vampire operations ceased the following year.
DESCRIPTION: Single seat Fighter/Fighter Bomber
POWER PLANT: One 5,000 lb thrust Rolls-Royce/CAC Nene 2-VH turbojet engine
WEIGHT: Empty 7,600 lbs (3,447 kg), Loaded Max. 13,100 lbs (5,942kg)
DIMENSIONS Wingspan 38 ft 0 in (11.58 m), Length 30 ft 9 in (9.37 m), Height 8 ft 10 in (2.69 m)
PERFORMANCE: Max Speed 476 kts (882 kph), Ceiling 43,000 ft (13,100 m), Range 684 nm (1,266 km)
ARMAMENT: Four 20mm cannon, eight 60 lb rockets, or two 1,000 lbs bombs
Link to SF Vampire:http://home.earthlink.net/~pasko_patak/planes.html
Vampire brought to you by Pasko, Column5 and myself
Comes complete with silver RAAF Vampire skin
A-80 SIKORSKY S-51
The Sikorsky S51 commercial helicopter first flew on February 16 1946, and was a development of the USAF Sikorsky R5 of 1943. In USAF service the S51 became their 5F until June 1948, when "R" designations were recategorized as "H". Consequently, the commercial S51 then became the military H5F.
However, in the interim, the RAAF purchased a Sikorsky helicopter under Order USA No. R5F S5-5127. This was the first helicopter ordered for the RAAF, although experiments had been carried out during World War II, with A Cieva C30A, Autogiro, VH-USR, at RAAF Base Laverton.
The Sikorsky S51 helicopter, as it became known in RAAF service, was received at No 1AD on October 3 1947 as A80-1. Extensive trials were then carried out at ARDU during which time the helicopter was damaged on a number of occasions before it was allotted to No 21 Sqn on November 27 1951. However, a few days later it crashed in the Murray River and was held by No 21 Sqn until it was delivered to No 1 AD on August 19 1952, for conversion to components. Late in 1950 two more S51 helicopters were ordered as A80-374 and A80-636. They arrived at No 2AD on May 17 1951, and were allotted, respectively, to No 22 and 23 Sqns. On November 6 1952 A80-636 transferred to No 22 Sqn, but it crashed on December 10 1952, and was scrapped at No 2AD on April 8 1953. A80-374 operated with No 22 Sqn until June 21 1955, when it was transferred to No 2AD. On November 10 1955, the name Dragonfly (the RAF title for the S51) was authorised for A80-374 but it continued to be known as the S51. In 1961 the helicopter was allotted to No 81 (Fighter) Wing and in 1964 A80-374 became an instructional airframe at RAAF Wagga. The aircraft is now on static display at the RAAF Museum.
DESCRIPTION: Communication and casualty evacuation helicopter. Pilot and three passengers or two stretcher cases. Metal structure with metal rotor blades.
POWER PLANT: One 450 hp Pratt and Whitney R985 radial engine.
DIMENSIONS: Rotor diameter, 49 ft; length, 57 ft 1 in.; height 13 ft.
WEIGHTS: Empty, 3,780 lb; loaded, 4,825 lb.
PERFORMANCE: Max speed, 106 mph. Cruising speed, 81 mph. Climb, 15 mins to 10,000 ft. Service ceiling, 14,400 ft. Range, 360 miles.
Link to SF S-51:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=622
S-51 brought to you by capun and myself
Link to RAAF skin:http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2086
Included in S-51 Skin Pack
A-84 GAF CANBERRA
Although the piston engined Avro Lincoln heavy bomber had only entered RAAF service in 1946, by late 1948 it was already obvious this aircraft would become quickly obsolete. Investigations into a more modern replacement were therefore begun, resulting in the order of 48 English Electric Canberra jet bombers in 1950.
Like the Lincoln, the Canberra would be built under licence in Australia by the Government Aircraft Factory (GAF). Additionally, its Rolls-Royce Avon engines would be built in Australia by the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC).
The Australian Canberra was based on the British B.2 version but with provision for increased internal fuel capacity in a redesigned wing leading edge (incorporated from the 21st aircraft and retrofitted to earlier examples), a revised radio suite and a reduction in crew from three to two - pilot and navigator/bomb aimer. The first 27 aircraft were powered by two 6,500 lb thrust Avon Mk. Is and the remainder by 7,500 lb thrust Avon Mk. 109s.
The Australian built aircraft was designated simply the Canberra Mk.20 (not B.20 as is usually reported) and the serial numbers A84-201 to 248 were applied.
The first GAF built Canberra Mk.20 (A84-201) flew in May 1953 and entered service with 82 Wing in December of the same year. No 2 Squadron was the first to receive the Canberra followed by No 6 Squadron in 1955 and No 1 Squadron in 1958. The 48th and last Canberra Mk.20 was delivered in September 1958. Five aircraft (A84-201 and 203-206) were converted to dual control Mk.21 trainers in 1958-59.
RAAF Canberras achieved some national fame in 1953 when A84-201 and 202 participated in that year's England to New Zealand Air Race, the latter finishing a close second outright to a RAF Canberra. Long distance flights were a feature of early RAAF Canberra operations, these included goodwill trips to the USA.
Canberras from No 2 Squadron became the first Australian jet bombers to perform a combat sortie in September 1958 when an attack against terrorists in Northern Malaya was carried out, the first of many such excursions.
Nine years later, the Squadron was sent to Vietnam as part of Australia's large commitment to that conflict, remaining there until June 1971 and in the meantime achieving an enviable record flying what was by then regarded by many as an obsolete bomber.
Operating as part of the USAF's 35th Tactical Fighter Wing, 2 Squadron's Canberras flew just six per cent of the Wing's sorties but inflicted 16 per cent of the damage. Overall, 11,963 sorties were flown in Vietnam, 76,389 bombs dropped and two aircraft lost.
By the time it returned to Australia, 2 Squadron was the last RAAF operational Canberra Unit, 1 and 6 Squadrons having temporarily converted to F-4E Phantoms while they waited for the much delayed F-111s to arrive. 2 Squadron continued flying Canberras well past their planned retirement date until 1982, in the meantime completing many cartographic surveys in Australia and overseas (notably Indonesia), the Canberras equipped with survey cameras. The Canberra's distinguished RAAF career officially ended on 30 June 1982 when 2 Squadron flew four aircraft over Brisbane and surrounding areas in a farewell flypast.
DESCRIPTION: Tactical bomber
POWER PLANT: Two 6,500 lb thrust Rolls-Royce/CAC Avon Mk I or 7,500 lb thrust Avon Mk 109 turbojets.
DIMENSIONS: Wing span 64 ft 0 in. (19.50 in); length 65 ft 6 in. (19.96m); height 15 ft 7 in (4.75m)
WEIGHTS: Empty 25,400 lb (11,521 kb); max. loaded 50,000 lb (22,680 kg)
PERFORMANCE: (Avon 109s) Max speed 504 kt (933 km/h); normal cruise 380 kt (703 km/h); initial climb 4,200 ft (1,280 m)/min; operational ceiling 45,000 ft (13,716 m); radius of action (4,500 lb bomb load) 984 nm (2,060 km); max ferry range 3,154nm (5,841 km)
ARMAMENT: Max bomb load 8,000 lb (3,629 kg); typical Vietnam load six 750 lb (340 kg) bombs, four in bomb bay and one under each wingtip.
Link to SF CANBERRA:
Go to www.AVSIM.com (you will need to register)
Go to the File Library
Go to the Strike Fighters: Project 1 Mods, Utilities and Patches section
Do a search for Canberra this will bring up the the B.2 and B(I)8
The RAAF 2 Sqn in Vietnam texture comes with the B.2 download
Thanks to ajunaidr for the aircraft and textures!
A-94 CAC SABRE
Due in part to the technical investigations initiated by CAC Manager, L. J. Wackett, the RAAF decided to install the 7,500 lb. st Rolls-Royce Avon RA.7 turbojet in place of the 6,100 lb. st General Electric J-47. Major modifications included a larger nose-intake, positioning the Avon further aft than the J-47, and moving the engine servicing break point. Other improvements called for increased fuel capacity, revised cockpit layout, and replacement of the six 0.50in machine-guns with two 30-mm Aden cannons. Consequently, CAC had to redesign 60 per cent of the airframe. The resultant aircraft, sometimes called the Avon-Sabre, became the best of the numerous Sabre variants built throughout the world.
The prototype CAC Sabre Mk 30, the CA-26, first flew on 3 August, 1953, with an imported Avon engine, piloted by Flt Lt W. Scott. The first production CA-27 Sabre, A94-901, flew on 13 July 1954 and was followed by a further 21 Mk 30s, A94-902/922, with imported Avons, and leading-edge slats. As from 1955 the next 20 Sabre Mk 31s, A94-923/942, were powered with the CAC Avon Mk 20, had an extended leading-edge, additional fuel cells, and fitments for drop-tanks, bombs, and rockets. The earlier Mk 30s were then modified to Mk 31 standard. The final version of the CAC Sabre was the Mk 32 of which 69 were built, A94-943/990 and A94-351/371. They carried additional drop-tanks and rockets and, as from 1960, Sidewinder air-to-air missiles. All earlier Sabres were similarly modified, and retrospectively fitted with the CAC Avon Mk 26 engine which was first in- stalled in A94-973. The last CAC Sabre. A94-371, completed acceptance trials on 19 December, 1961.
The first production Sabre, A94-901, went to ARDU on 19 August, 1954. A Sabre Trials Flight was established at No. 2 (F) OTU, RAAF Williamtown, on 1 November, 1954 and No. 75 Sqn became the first Sabre squadron after it reformed on 4 April, 1955. No. 3 Sqn received its first Sabres on 1 March, 1956, and No. 77 Sqn on 19 November, 1956. In October, 1958 No. 3 deployed to RAAF Butterworth and was followed by No. 77 in February, 1959. As No. 78 (F) Wg both squadrons used their Sabres against the communist terrorists until 31 July 1960. No. 76 Sqn reformed in January, 1960 and joined No. 2 (F) OCU and No. 75 Sqn as the Sabre equipped No. 81 (F) Wg, RAAF Williamtown.
On 1 June, 1962 eight Sabres deployed from Butterworth to Ubon, Thailand, to counter communist activity. This detachment became No. 79 Sqn until it withdrew and disbanded in August, 1968. As from 1964-5 the Mirage III began to replace the Sabre, and on 31 July, 1971 the RAAF officially retired the Sabre from service.
DESCRIPTION: Single-seat swept-wing fighter. All metal, stressed-skin construction.
POWER PLANT: 7,500 lb. st. CAC Avon 26.
DIMENSIONS: Span 37 ft 1 in; Length 37 ft 6 in; Height 14 ft 4 in
WEIGHT: Empty 12,000 lb; Loaded 17,300 lb
ARMAMENT: 2 x 30 mm Aden cannons. Alternative loads of Sidewinder, rockets and bombs
PERFORMANCE: Max speed 700 mph at sea level, Cruise speed 550 mph, Range 1150 miles, Service ceiling 55,000 ft
Link to SF Avon Sabre:http://www.zur-tech.com/sabres3.htm
Avon Sabre brought to you by David Zurawski, DanW, John Trivelli and myself
Link to updated 76 Sqn Avon Sabre Panther Skinhttp://forum.combatace.com/index.php?download=2500
A-3 GAF MIRAGE IIIO
The search for a Sabre replacement began in the fifties, and when a joint evaluation team from the Departments of Air and Supply visited Europe and North America in1960, the Dassault Mirage III emerged as their selection over the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter.
Having selected the French SNECMA Atar 9C engine, the first RAAF aircraft, numbered A3-1, flew at Bordeaux on March 14 1963 and was handed over to the RAAF at Villaroche, near Paris, on April 9. This definitive IIIO was similar to the French Air Force Mirage IIIE and while A3-1 was flown to Australia by Hercules, the second French-built aircraft, A3-2, remained in France until August 1965 to test the various RAAF modification. Meanwhile two further aircraft were shipped to Australia as fully equipped major assemblies and completed at Avalon by the Government Aircraft Factories (GAF), the Australian prime contractor. The first of these, A3-3, was flown by Sqn Ldr (later AVM) Bill Collings at Avalon on November 16 1963.
Gradually the French content was reduced with GAF subcontracting the wings, tail and engine to the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (CAC), and by aircraft, A3-16, the first Australian built primary parts were incorporated. The first order of December 1960 for 30 aircraft, A3-1 to A3-30, was followed in 1962 for a further 30 A3-31 to A3-60. By 1963 the order was increased by another 40, A3-61 to A3-100, followed by 10 two seat trainers, similar to the French Mirage IIIB and designated IIID, serialised A3-101 to A3-110.
Following the two French aircraft, the first 48 Australian assembled aircraft (A3-3 to A3-50) were built as Mirage IIIO(F) interceptors and No 2 OCU at Williamtown began receiving deliveries in 1964. No 75 Squadron became the first operational unit to equip in 1965 followed by No 76 Sqn in 1966. The next 50 aircraft (A3-51 to A3-100) were built as IIIO(A) ground attack variants with slightly different radar and the addition of doppler navigation and radar altimeters for low level operation. In 1967 No 75 Sqn deployed to Malaysia to replace No 3 Sqn. No 3 Sqn then became the first unit to equip with the ground attack Mirage under Wg Cdr Jake Newham, who was later to be CAS. When 3 Sqn returned to Butterworth in 1969, 77 Sqn re-equipped and became the fourth RAAF Mirage squadron.
The first two seater Mirage IIID, A3-101, flew on October 6 1966 and was accepted by the RAAF at Avalon on November 10, followed by a further nine over the next year. The trainer version deleted the Cyrano II nose radar, a second cockpit was added behind the first and the avionics equipment previously stored there was relocated in the nose. The Mirage trainers were assembled for the RAAF by GAF from imported French built fuselages and CAC built wings and vertical tail surfaces.
In December 1970 the Government approved the procurement of six additional Mirage IIID trainers at a cost of $11 M. These aircraft, A3-111 to A3-116 delivered from August 1973 to January 1974, enabled the retirement of the Sabre from operational fighter training.
With defence cuts under the Whitlam Labour Government, No 76 Squadron was disbanded amongst much ill feeling in August 1973. The remaining three squadrons continued operating the Mirage in air defence and ground attack based at Williamtown and Butterworth. Basing of aircraft extended to Darwin in 1983 when 75 Sqn relocated from Butterworth.
As 2 OCU began to work-up for the Hornet in 1984, all Williamtown based Mirages were transferred to 77 Sqn, with some 40 of the type on strength. This must have made 77 Sqn the largest fighter squadron ever in the RAAF. No 77 finally relinquishing their Mirages for Hornets in November 1987. In March 1986 79 Squadron reformed at Butterworth from 3 Sqn as the latter began conversion to the Hornet. 79 Sqn operated the Mirage until disbanding in April 1988, leaving 75 Squadron at Darwin and ARDU at Edinburgh as the remaining operators. In early September 1988, 75 Squadron flew a formation of Mirages over the east coast capitals as a farewell gesture before the aircraft ceased squadron operations on September 30. In October the remaining 75 Sqn Mirages were ferried to Woomera and so appropriately this Squadron, which was the first to equip with the Mirage in 1966, was the last to operate it.
The last RAAF Mirage flight was on February 8 1989 when A3-101 was flown from ARDU at Edinburgh to Woomera to join 47 of the type in storage pending their disposal. In 1990 Pakistan purchased fifty RAAF Mirages, including two which had been stored at Point Cook.
The Mirage saw longer service in our front line than any other fighter. Despite the original estimated design fatigue life of only 1500 hours, some Australian Mirages flew over 4000 hours. Over forty aircraft were lost in flying accidents, but the type was held in high regard by those who flew it.
DESCRIPTION: Single seat interceptor/ground attack fighter.
POWER PLANT: One 13,670 lb thrust SNECMA Atar 9C turbojet with afterburner.
DIMENSIONS: Length 15.03m (49ft 4in); wingspan 8.22m (27 ft); height 4.5m (14ft 9in).
WEIGHTS: Empty 7049kg (15,540 lb); max. 13,699kg (30,200 lb).
PERFORMANCE: Max speed Mach 2.2; Mach 1.14 (1390kmh 863mph) at sea level: ferry range 2085nm (3862km).
ARMAMENT: One Matra R530 and either two Sidewinder AIM-9B or two Matra R550 Magic air-to-air missiles and twin 30mm DEFA cannon. Ground attack weapons such as six Mk 82 500 lb bombs or three GBU-12 laser guided bombs.
The IIIO has not been released for SF as yet. It has been done and is awaiting final polishing. There are several Mirage variants already released, you can download other Mirage variants here:http://www.column5.us/aircraft2.shtml
Thanks to the Mirage Factory for the Mirages!
75 Squadron Mirage in standard 1970's scheme.
3 Sqn Mirage in 1980s two-tone grey scheme.
Link to SF Mirage IIIO Placeholder:
Thanks Charles and the Mirage Factory!
A-7 MACCHI MB-326H
In the 1960s the RAAF were looking for a replacement for their Vampires and Winjeels in an attempt to establish an all-jet form of pilot training.
Having evaluated types including the BAC Jet Provost, Canadair Tutor, Fuji T-1 and SAAB 105 the Macchi MB-326 was selected in August 1965.
The initial order was for 75 aircraft for the RAAF which was later increased to 87 and then a further 10 for the Royal Australian Navy.
Like many aircraft selected by the RAAF during this time, these were produced in conjunction with Australian Industry. In the case of the Macchi, the first 20 were assemble from predominantly Italian components with the remaining 77, having a much higher Australian content.
The Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation(CAC) was the Primary contractor in the case of the Macchi, also being responsible for the local manufacture of the aircrafts power plant, the Rolls Royce Viper. The Macchi received the CAC designation, CA-30.
The RAAFs first Macchi flew in Italy during April 1967 and was then shipped the Australia and handed over by CAC in October 1968 with the last aircraft delivered in September 1972.
The RAAFs philosophy of all jet pilot training only lasted for two courses before reverting back to a combination piston then jet training.
From 1989 the Pilatus PC-9 replaced the venerable Macchi in the area of advanced pilot training.
The RAAFs Macchis are best known by Australians as the mount of the RAAFs Aerobatic Team, the Roulettes between 1970 and 1989.
DESCRIPTION: Two seat basic and advanced trainer
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Italy, built under licence in Australia by CAC
NUMBER OF AIRCRAFT DELIVERED: 87 (RAN received an additional 10)
COMMENCED SERVICE: 1968
POWER PLANT: 1 x Rolls-Royce Viper Turbojet producing 2,500 lbs of thrust.
DIMENSIONS: Wing Span: 10.57 m, Length: 10.67 m, Height: 3.71 m
WEIGHTS: Empty 2,236 kg, Loaded 4,300 kg
PERFORMANCE: Speed: 806 km/h max clean, Service Ceiling: 44,000 ft, Range: 1,512 kms
Serial Numbers: 001-087
Link to SF Macchi MB-326H:
Thanks to FoxMonter for the Macchi, Charles for the mod, which comes with textures my me (Roulettes and Two tone Camo), and Charles (Grey).